Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Orton Effect

Here is a beautiful storyboard of flowering weeping cherry trees. The center photo was taken at The Lexington Cemetery in Spring 2007. This photo was selected as a Betterphoto First Place winner out of more than 23,000 images. It is featured in the 2008 WTVQ Photo Friday Calendar for the month of April and was chosen for the Arts De' Vine Art Show at Talon Winery and Vineyards.

Many people have asked if I did any enhancements to this photo. While the blossoms were truly spectacular straight out of the camera, I did do a process on this image in Photoshop to give it a more ethereal quality. This process is called the Orton Effect.

While you can find Orton actions out there, I use Photoshop Elements 4 for editing and could not find an action that was compatible. I ran across the following instructions for achieving this look in Elements and it works beautifully:

1. Open the image to be Ortonized.
2. Create 2 new, identical Layers in that image.
3. On New Layer 1, set Blending to Screen, Opacity to 100%.
4. On New Layer 2, set Blending to Multiply, Opacity to 100%.
5. On New Layer 2, apply Gaussian Blur Filter, choosing your settings as appropriate.

(6. Depending on the original image, I sometimes add another duplicated Screen Layer, made from the background Layer, to further lighten up the darker portions.)


I would love to see your before and after attempts with this technique!

0 comments:

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.