Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

DIY Shootsac and fabric camera strap

As many of you know, I have been searching for a way to create my own Shootsac-style bag. I have a large Targus bag that works well for holding all of my gear, but I need something better when out walking around and shooting. I currently carry a 4 mil. Crumpler bag, but I would like to be able to carry a little more, but keep the comfort of wearing it across my shoulder and not having it flap around at my side.

I haven't received my neoprene "lens holders" yet, but here is my first update about my DIY Shootsac.

I was looking online for a suitable bag. I wanted something with a flap and that is pliable so it will mold around my body as I shoot. I remembered I purchased a Kate Spade messenger bag at Goodwill about a year ago for $1.50. I dug it out of the closet and decided it would be perfect for what I needed.
I happened to be out at Walmart today and found black and white damask fabric for $1/yd. I bought a couple of yards and some sticky-backed black velcro.

I started with the camera strap. I am very impatient so this had to require very little measuring and no sewing. =) I decided to do a sort of slipcover for my strap. This way it is interchangeable and can be removed for cleaning. I cut the fabric to length and guesstimated the width. I used Tacky glue to fold the edges over to create a clean edge. I decided my camera strap could use some padding. I looked around the house for something suitable. My almost 2 yr. old was running around with some Swiffer wet jet pads for whatever reason. I picked one up and noticed how soft it was. I ripped one open and found my solution! The inside is made of a batting-like padding. I cut it to fit and glued it in. I attached a thin stip of Velcro to two sides and now I have a beautiful padded camera strap to match my "shootsac" cover.

Next I cut a piece of fabric for my bag cover. I did pretty much the same procedure, only no padding. I cut the fabric to size and then folded over the edges with the Tacky glue. I attached the Velcro and added the fabric piece to the cover.

I am pretty pleased so far since my whole bag to this point has cost me about $6! I'll update about the inside of the bag as soon as I get it all finished.

2 comments:

Gypsy Girl said...

Love how they match. I will be watching for an update to see how you like it. Not Like I could sew or make one but just curious.

Angie said...

Way to be creative - and frugal! Don't you love it when that happens? I can't wait to see the inside. Thanks for sharing this...it's inspiring.

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.