Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Monday, May 19, 2008

DIY Shootsac




I love the concept behind the shootsac by Jessica Claire, but the $179 price tag is a bit high for my budget.






Being the bargain hunter (a.k.a cheapskate)I am, I set out to find a DIY solution. The shootsac is constructed out of neoprene. I found these nifty totes from Built NY:

http://www.builtny.com/showPage.php?pageID=1571#





I purchased a two pack for $10.99 off Ebay. I will have to see how roomy the pockets are when they arrive. If they won't work, I will have two nifty drink carriers to sport at t-ball and the price was cheap enough to take the chance. =)





This morning I ran across an idea for converting a Very Bradley messenger style bag into a shootsac style bag:
Vera Bradley convert

I found some neat Domke compartment inserts and I am sure there are others out there.







I also found reasonably priced messenger bags at places like QVC:
QVC quilted messenger bags








I will be sure to update when I receive the six pack totes. I would love to be able to insert these into the messenger bag, but I will have to see how roomy the sections are first. I just thought I would share a little of my discoveries for the frugal shootsac dreamers.

3 comments:

Reese said...

I had just been thinking about doing this myself and found your site through a google search. I look forward to seeing how yours goes.

Another thought I had was that one of the Built NY lunch totes could also hold a body with lens attached in the food part as well as an extra lens in the drink part.

Regina (Lexi) said...

Yeah, I have a friend trying two of the neoprene laptop totes. She is going to sew them to make pockets. The lunch tote wouldn't work for me because I am trying to keep it hugging the body like a shootsac. This bag won't actually be used to store my camera, just to wear while shooting and to take along a couple of lenses and my flash probably. I have a 4 mil. Crumpler that just isn't big enough for my flash and a couple of lenses. I also have a large Targus bag for storing all of my gear when not in use. Let me know what you come up with!

Gujustud said...

How did this end up working out for you? I also agree the price of the shootsac is $$$$!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.