Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Evolution of a Monarch Butterfly



The second butterfly finally emerged 10 days after forming the chrysalis. Since I missed the big show with the first one, I kept this one under complete watch. Once we saw the little ledge form and knew we were getting close, we anxiously waited for the slightest sign of a crack. I got so excited when it finally did that I almost dropped my camera. The kids really enjoyed seeing the whole process. My little 7 yr.old aspiring photog. Susie even filmed it. I was especially excited that I captured all of these with my old manual 28mm 2.8 macro lens. I think I am finally starting to get the hang of using the manual lenses on my Pentax. The kids had their last day of school yesterday so they were all able to see the butterfly emerge. I will try to post some pictures of them getting to know the butterfly tomorrow. We enjoyed her for awhile and then she was set free in a neighbor's garden.

8 comments:

YA said...

So neat. Great shots

pat said...

WONDERFUL progression of shots!! Glad to see that your patience paid off--big time. Really like the slide show. What a great idea.

braenz said...

Wonderful series of shots. So nice to see on a foggy morning here in New Zealand - a reminder that spring and the Monarchs are not too far away now.

Thanks for sharing.

Jacqui
www.monarch.org.nz

Suzy said...

Wow these are amazing!! Great work!

amazing grace said...

VERY cool Lexi!!!! these are amazing!!!!

waipuilani said...

Love the pictures, truly amazing to see the progression. So educational for your kids to watch too. Thanks for sharing!

Ann Christine Dennison said...

Thank you for sharing this! It is fantastic seeing the development,

Pam said...

These are just gorgeous!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.