Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Evolution of a Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Our neighbor and resident native plant/butterfly expert Betty Hall sent a new caterpillar down for our family to enjoy. After feeding on parsley for a few days, we noticed he was wandering off the plant. We knew from watching the monarchs that the time for him to find a sturdy place to attach the silk button was near. He finally settled on a sturdy parsley stalk and attached himself with two small threads. We kept close watch last evening, but he was resting and didn't move at all. This morning he began wiggling shortly after the kids left for school. One of my sons called and said I needed to pick him back up because he was ill, but there was no way I was leaving the caterpillar at this point. Fearing a visit by Child Protective Services if I didn't pick up my ailing child, I eventually gave in and gathered the little ones and my things to leave. In my haste, I left my keys inside the house and locked the door. We had to break in the basement to retrieve my keys, but guess what? I took one last peek at the caterpillar and noticed a small green crack down his back. He was forming his chrysalis! I guess this is one time I was glad to get locked out of the house. My son was eventually picked up and I got some great pictures in the end.






To Be Continued in about 9 days!

3 comments:

Pam said...

These are so cool, I am just loving all of your caterpillar to butterfly slide shows!

I have a blog award for you on my blog, I just had to share your blog link with the world...

http://alwaysartistic.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-lovin-award.html

~Pam

Regina (Lexi) said...

Thank you Pam for your comments and the award. I really appreciate it!

Pam said...

Your Welcome Regina!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.