Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Valley View Ferry

After a week of sickness and being cooped up inside, yesterday seemed like the perfect day to go for a country drive to check on the Fall color. I thought I would take the kids down by the Kentucky River and make a stop at the Valley View Ferry.


After the long and winding drive and a short stop at the summer camp I used to work at in college, we arrived at the river's edge. I started snapping some shots and it was gorgeous. The sun was shining and the sky was a perfect blue with low, puffy white clouds. Some of the trees showed a hint of red. I noticed a red flashing icon in the corner of my camera. I had never seen it before and ignored it and kept right on shooting away. I was feeling it, too. I knew the shots were going to come out great. Until... I decided to check my histogram to make sure I wasn't blowing out the sky and was upset to find that I had left my memory card at home in my card reader. I just recently started using a card reader and that is a mistake I won't be making again!

Luckily my 8 year old daughter brought her $40 point and shoot with her and was able to capture a couple of images of the ferry. I converted them for her and added a touch of "Glow". I am bummed about not getting my shots, but we had a beautiful drive and nice time watching the ferry taking its passengers back and forth across the river.


Here is some information about the historic Valley View Ferry.

5 comments:

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Wow that's a bummer when you forget something that important!

The shots you did get a beautiful though! I can just imagine how gorgeous it was in person!

Regina (Lexi) said...

Thanks Pam. These really don't do it justice, but I am happy to have them. I might drive back down there next weekend if the weather is nice.

Pam of Always Artistic said...

I will look forward to the pictures if you do!

I went for a long walk yesterday, our trees are changing to and it is beautiful! But it was very cold out, and almost dark when I went!

Quilt Works said...

Oops! Redundancy is our friend. I have two batteries and two memory cards. One of them is always in the camera bag, no matter what I am doing with the other one - recharging and copying... I can tell you that it did save my forgetful butt a few times!

My you rescued those point and shoot snapshots by turning them into sepia, great thinking :-) They look very artistic :-)

Regina (Lexi) said...

Thanks. I have extra batteries, but until a few weeks ago when my usb port broke on my camera, my memory card had never left it. I guess I will have to get another one as a back up.

Her little camera really blew out the sky and parts of the water and the colors were just so washed out. I thought maybe the sepia would give the ferry a sense of history and cover up a few p&s evils. =)

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.