Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Kaleidoscope Christmas

Last year I decided to try a bokeh shot of my Christmas tree. You basically just shoot wide open and throw your shot out of focus (you'll have to take it off auto focus) until you get the look you like.

Here is my image from last year of our Christmas tree. I think I probably used a 28mm 2.8 lens.



This year I decided to try a homemade shape filter. My paper punches are packed away so I had to freehand my tree. Here are some instructions for making the filter: DIY bokeh filter

I was browsing different bokeh images on flickr and came across this one using a tree shape and it inspired me to give it a try last night: stephendl photostream

Here is the result with the tree filter on and shooting the lights on my Christmas tree:



I tried another tree shape:

 

The more you throw the focus out, the bigger and closer together the shapes become.


1 comments:

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Wow these are so cool! So glad you shared!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.