Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Getting Closer

My hawk friend is starting to get a little more tolerant of me after several encounters over the past week or so. Seems he finally got the crows off his back and I went outside this morning to find two bluejays giving him a hard time. This guy swooped down and nipped at his wings. That is one brave bluejay! The hawk is looking at him like, "Seriously?!"



I am using my 50-200mm lens and so far he hasn't been close enough to get a really good shot, but I'm sure I'll get him soon now that I am getting familiar with his feeding times and patterns. =) Looks like this guy is some type of buteo. Probably a young red-tailed hawk.




3 comments:

pat said...

Nice work with your hawk-stalking! Half of it IS getting accustomed to their schedules... I can't believe the shot with the jay. Way to go! Those jays have such attitudes, and are so feisty. Would love to see jays and crows face off--they would really be a match; at least a shouting match, wouldn't you agree? :-D

moondiva said...

Regina, he is beautiful..great pics. About 4 years ago a pair of red-tails raised 3 chicks @ the NE corner of my 4 ac. It was a joy to watch, the feeding and then their learning to fly. They start with jumps up-down, then to limbs..farther & farther, then flight...'bout a 5-7 day process. Maybe this guy is looking for a future nesting site.

Blessing, Deborah

Regina (Lexi) said...

I could watch them all day. I doubt this one will nest here with all the crows we have. They are huge and attack the hawk whenever possible. It sounds amazing though. What an experience that must have been! I remember how excited I got watching a few baby bluejays hatch and grow. =)

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.