Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Lexington National Cemetery

"These heroes are dead.  They died for liberty - they died for us.  They are at rest.  They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines.  They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest.  Earth may run red with other wars - they are at peace.  In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death. "
~Robert G. Ingersoll


I have been to the Veterans Memorial many times, but I have rarely been in the winter. It was so peaceful and beautiful. I thought the snow gave it a more solemn feel and really brought out the precise placement of the headstones.

0 comments:

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.