Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Ice Storm-2010


This week we were treated(?) to a winter storm complete with snow, sleet and freezing rain. The ice accumulation in my area was somewhere between a quarter to a half an inch. While I am not a fan of the cold at all, the storm did force us to slow down a bit during this often hurried season. We are enjoying more time spent around the warmth and glow of the fireplace, skating on the driveway, and marveling at nature's creations.

I am looking forward to the sun coming out. From previous ice storms, I remember how the neighborhood would shimmer like a thousand prisms when the sun would hit the  melting ice. The ice encapsulates everything and makes even the most mundane objects look interesting. Mother Nature can turn a trash can into instant art like in the photo above.  The ice magnifies the beauty and acts as nature's jewelry.



It brings out textures and colors that usually go unnoticed once the fall leaves have passed and our thoughts turn to the hustle and bustle of the holidays. I can't say that I hope the ice sticks around, but I am trying to appreciate the beauty in it while it is here.


"Let those who go outside be solitary,
stifle the heart and see how this unknown and brittle world, 
unreal and legendary,
was filmed in crystal for the mind alone."

2 comments:

pat said...

These are precisely the reason why I love ice storms!! Everything becomes magic. That last shot is a stunner, Regina. Here's hoping that it melts off soon!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Wow these images are so cool. I never would have thought of items in ice interesting, or beautiful. I do now. I especially like the last photo!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.