Photos- copyright 2013 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Upcycled Kitchen Cabinets

Our grandmother was an avid crafter. When she passed away, we inherited much of her craft supplies. I also have quite a bit of scrapbooking supplies. We were in desperate need of some inexpensive storage. I saw a post on the Scissors and Spatulas blog and the wheels began turning. 

I loved the idea of upcycling old kitchen cabinets. I also got inspiration from this post on using recycled kitchen cabinets for garage storage: http://www.millennialliving.com/Activities/Renovation/Kitchen/reusing-kitchen-cabinets.htm

I stopped by my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I have discovered the best time to find cheap cabinets is on Saturday. They often mark down inventory and cabinets can be purchased for as low as $2.

I splurged a little and found two cabinets with glass fronts for $25 each. I knew from my frequent trips to the ReStore, that these are somewhat more rare than the plain cabinets. I decided on upper cabinets instead of base cabinets because they were going to be along a wall in a narrow hallway on the unfinished side of the basement. I needed about 12 ft. of cabinetry total and the glass doors would break up the monotony a little. The cabinets had been painted white, but they needed a little work. 


 I removed the knobs and stripped the cabinets. I used some mineral spirits to clean them up before priming.


>

With the stripping completed, I moved on to the other two cabinets. These were trash finds so total freebies, but I have seen them at ReStore many times since for as little as $5. They are solid birch cabinets and very well-made. We have these same cabinets in our kitchen painted a deep chocolate brown so I knew they were very sturdy and durable.


I removed the hardware and applied a deglosser, wiped on with rags. This cleaned the surface and prepared it for the primer. I primed the cabinets and gave them a fresh coat of white semi-gloss paint. After searching through my mismatched hardware box, I came up with some brushed nickel handles and some matching new hinges. I had to purchase a few more, but found them for less than a dollar each, including shipping on ebay. The next problem was the countertop. After wandering around the local hardware stores, I found white melamine shelving at Home Depot for a little under $13 a sheet. These were 72"  long by 12" wide. They also came in different lengths. I needed two for my 12 ft. of cabinets.

I purchased some shelf liner for the glass doors. We used thumbtacks so that I can change the pattern whenever I like. You could also use fabric, but the shelf liner was rubber-backed and the stiffness helped eliminate puckering and wrinkles. I purchased it at Big Lots. We already had peg board in place for painting and camping supplies. I painted it the basement wall color and bought some peg board hooks also at Big Lots. I believe they were $7 for a large pack of various sizes.

We "installed" the cabinets last week. We did make a base for them since our basement floor was not level. It also raised them off the floor in case we were to get any water in the basement. We have a drain nearby that doesn't flood, but you never know! I still need to add some base trim and attach the countertops, but the project is almost complete.

It was difficult to get a good shot of the cabinets installed since the hall is so narrow, but you get the idea of how they turned out.



I am thrilled with how the cabinets turned out. They have a ton of storage, they are durable, and they were inexpensive. I especially love that I was able to turn an otherwise dead space into a wall of storage.

I decided to give my son some extra storage using the kitchen cabinet concept. I purchased these beauties for $12 total. Aren't they lovely? ;)


After some primer, a new coat of gloss black paint and a couple of new handles, he now has a desk with plenty of storage. We were able to find the black melamine top at Home Depot. I also made him a nightstand/video storage cabinet out of the top cabinet. I still have to cut the top to size and put the casters on, but it turned out great. You can't beat the price!


Give it a try. There is no limit to what you can do with these old kitchen cabinets. I love this idea for a child's play kitchen:


2 comments:

discountluxuryfurniture said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for linking up! That cabinetry and counter are amazing! I wish I had that much space! Lord knows I need that much storage for all my craft junk! Thanks again!
Jen

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.