Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Life's A Beach

 Sunset at the Pier

I have an acute case of Post Island Vacation Syndrome. When my husband first suggested going to St. Simons Island, I have to admit I was skeptical. The thought of cramming 8 people, including 6 rambunctious kids,  into a van and traveling from Central Kentucky to the Georgia coast did not sound appealing. As the trip neared, I tried focusing on the photo-ops. I imagined beautiful sunsets and a new family photo to hang on the wall.

In keeping with Rickert tradition, nothing ever goes as planned. On the morning of the trip, I dutifully handed out the Dramamine for the drive. Who knew we would have such a bad reaction? Three vomiting before we even left the state! I thought my nightmare was coming true. To my surprise, once we settled in the rest of the trip went pretty smoothly.

There is an old saying on the island, "Once you get St. Simons sand in your shoes, like the tide you will return again and again." After spending a week on its shores, I have to believe this is true. I can't imagine not returning and would go back tomorrow if I could!

I am not a morning person, but once I took in my first sunrise on St. Simons I was hooked. There is no better way to start the day than watching the first streaks of light dance across the sky and water. Add in the ocean breeze, birds chirping and the sound of the waves and it is just magical.

 Sunrise on "our" beach near the King and Prince Resort


 Sunrise at Gould's Inlet-Spectacular!



For your morning meditation, =) sunrise on East Beach, St. Simons Island.

5 comments:

pat said...

Oh, be still my heart!!!! Regina, I LOVE LOVE these sunrise photos...beach, waves, gorgeous light painting the sky. Sheer perfection. I am a beach girl through and through, so your vacation photos really resonated with me...and I am a lighthouse junkie, so the St. Simon's lighthouse was a treat. These make me want to visit. And yes, I can just imagine those old live oaks painted in the morning glow!!

Regina said...

Thanks Pat. You would absolutely love it. I hadn't been that inspired to whip out the camera in a long time! Such a quaint little town and so much to do. Really something for everyone. I can't wait to go back! Hope you are having a fantastic summer. Loved your vacation photos. Looks like lots of great memories were made.=)

Donna Heath-Johnson said...

Seeing your pictures and watching the video makes me want to pack my bags and leave tonight for what my best girlfriend and I lovingly refer to as "our beach." Thank you for sharing...you truly captured the beauty of everything that is the island.

Regina said...

Thank you Donna. I fell in love with St. Simons as you can see. If you leave tonight, you have to take me with you. ;)I can't wait to return!

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Wow, just stunning. Every photo. I LOVE the 1st photo especially. And what a beautiful video too!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.