Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Marshes of Glynn

Marsh view from the John Gilbert Nature Trail
As you cross the causeway heading onto St. Simons, you are surrounded by beautiful marshes stretching out to the horizon on either side. The marshes are a fragile ecosystem, but some of the most extensive and productive marshlands in the world. Marsh grass and microscopic plants that support the food chains of shrimp, fish, oysters and crabs capture the sun's energy and nutrients from nearby rivers. Many land animals also breed and feed in the marshes. I saw a few marsh rabbits and white egrets.

In the 1870's, Georgia poet Sidney Lanier was inspired by the marshlands to write The Marshes of Glynn.
As the marsh-hen secretly builds on the watery sod,
Behold I will build me a nest on the greatness of God:
I will fly in the greatness of God as the marsh-hen flies
In the freedom that fills all the space ’twixt the marsh and the skies:
By so many roots as the marsh-grass sends in the sod
I will heartily lay me a-hold on the greatness of God:
Oh, like to the greatness of God is the greatness within
The range of the marshes, the liberal marshes of Glynn
I regret not exploring the marshes more and taking in a sunrise there, something I will plan on for my next visit. We did get some stunning views as we were driving. The bridge in the distance is named after poet Sydney Lanier.
Causeway view
View from the Sidney Lanier Bridge as we crossed to Jekyll Island.
Marsh view from Morningstar Marina

2 comments:

pat said...

mmmm....that second shot really gives you a feel for the incredible expanse of the marshes!

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

What a beautiful place. Great photos!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.