Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mossy Live Oaks

One of the first things I noticed on the island was the natural canopy made by the live oaks draped in Spanish moss lining the entrance.  As the story is told, St. Simons was once home to a thriving lumber industry. Oak timbers from Cannon's Point were used in 1794 to help build the U.S.S Constitution. Island timbers were also cut in 1874 for the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. On average of about 300 years, these trees provide shade and beauty to the island.

The "Avenue of Oaks" makes a grand entrance to the Sea Island Golf Club


Found this little park by accident

Across the street from the John Gilbert Nature Trail

Next time I hope to visit these when the lighting isn't so flat. I bet the morning glow is amazing at the Avenue of Oaks.

1 comments:

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Those trees are just gorgeous!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.