Photos copyright 2013-2016 Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.

I'm going to try firing up the blog again for 2016, especially the nature/landscape side of things. It is in desperate need of a redesign so I will be working on that while shooting for KSTV. Unfortunately the slideshows on older posts have been disabled by flickr. You can find all of my work in my gallery.

Monday, August 15, 2011

St. Simons Island Lighthouse

The St. Simons Island Lighthouse is one of the the island's most historic and beloved landmarks. It is located near the village and pier at Neptune Park and is one of five surviving light towers in Georgia. It is the oldest brick structure in the area, dating back to 1872. The original structure was built in 1861, but was destroyed by Confederate troops to prevent its use by Union ships. The lighthouse stands 104 feet tall and has 129 interior steps. Its light casts as far as 23 miles out to sea, and guides traffic entering St. Simons Sound. My sons and husband took a Ghost Encounter and were able to tour the lighthouse at night. They were told it is the third most famous haunted lighthouse in the nation!
 





If you love lighthouses, I stumbled across a neat blog. Lighthouse Explorations chronicles the Stewart Family's adventures visiting lighthouses around the country. They get stamps along the way for their Lighthouse Passport. I had never heard of the passport, but what a cool way to create some amazing family memories!

1 comments:

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Just gorgeous! I LOVE lighthouses! I will have to check out your links, thank you!

COPYRIGHT

Copyright for these photos belongs solely to Regina Rickert. All rights reserved.